Kabale Regional Referral Hospital was Established in the 1918 and started as a small unit serving expatriate staff and business communities until when it became a government district hospital in 1930. It remained as the only district hospital in Kabale up to 1995 when it became a Regional Referral hospital. It was accorded the status of Semi- Autonomy in November 2002. The Hospital is located in the South Western part of Uganda 426 kilometers from Kampala. The hospital serves an estimated population of 20 million and has a bed capacity of 280, with a staffing level currently at 62%. It also serves the districts of Kabale, Kisoro, Rukungiri, Kanungu, Rubanda, Rukiga and some parts of Ntungamo as well as neighboring countries of Rwanda, Burundi and the eastern part of the Democratic Republic of Congo, through the border posts of Katuna, Bunagana, and Kamwezi.